Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
We are always searching for skilled and enthusiastic volunteers! Individuals who get involved with CMHA play a crucial role in our organization and in enhancing the well-being of our community.
Your support helps us improve the lives of people living with mental health and/or addiction challenges and we truly appreciate the dedication and initiative of those who unselfishly contribute their time and energy.
We depend on volunteers like you to help build caring communities and make mental health matter. Volunteering plays an important role in supporting the resilience and recovery of people affected by mental illness. Not only does volunteering with CMHA Edmonton support our programs, services and special events, the act of volunteering can be beneficial for your mental health!
Who volunteers with CMHA Edmonton?
- CMHA values diversity and welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit and Metis, New Canadian, racialized, differently abled and LGBTTQIA+ communities.
- People who share our vision of mentally healthy people in caring communities
- Professionals, students, families, and community members
- People living with mental illness
- Friends, family, and co-workers of people living with mental illness
What do our volunteers do?
• They support callers in distress on the Distress Line
• They govern our organization by sitting on the Board of Directors
• They are ambassadors at Info Booths and awareness events
• They give presentations in schools and to community groups to increase understanding of mental health and suicide prevention
• They help set up for workshops, conferences, meetings, and support groups
• They provide administrative support by undertaking various administrative tasks e.g. (photocopying, putting together packages, filing, making labels)
• They assist with fundraising (i.e. volunteer at bingos, casinos and raffles)
If you would like to volunteer in any of these areas, please read the Volunteer Position Descriptions:
- CMHA Ambassador Information Booths
- CMHA Distress Line
- CMHA Ambassador Fund Development and Special Events
- CMHA Ambassador Administrative Services
After you have identified the area you are interested in, click here to complete the General Application Form, or here to complete to the Distress Line Application Form. Include your resume and email with Volunteer Area, e.g. Administrative Support or Fund Development in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much time is needed for volunteering?
- It depends on the volunteer role you choose. Some volunteers donate a couple of hours each week or month. Some volunteer for specific projects/events at select times during the year.
Where do CMHA Edmonton volunteers work?
- Depending on the volunteer role, you may be volunteering at CMHA Edmonton’s office, the helplines contact centre, a housing unit, or out in the community.