CMHA Edmonton relies heavily on volunteers. Generously donating their time and talents, our outstanding team of volunteers support our agency programs, administration, special events, committees, and Board of Directors. Volunteers are vital to programs and organizations across the globe, and this is why the United Nations has designated a special annual day to applaud volunteer efforts everywhere. This Saturday, December 5th, is International Day of the Volunteer, and we’re taking this opportunity to highlight some notes about the incredible volunteers we have on the team at CMHA Edmonton.
The absence of volunteers who contribute time, effort, and spirit has been felt strongly during this COVID-19 pandemic. Through it all, our volunteers have “stuck with us” either waiting patiently for volunteer positions to resume, or they have been able to continue making an impact in some of the following ways:
- Our volunteers assisted in ticket-handling and helping keep people safe by completing COVID-19 checklists with attendees during the Gord Bamford Drive-In for Mental Health outdoor concert.
- We have welcomed a total of around 60 new volunteers since March 2020 in various programs and been fortunate to have 4 practicum students completing placements.
- Gaming volunteers have continued to assist the successful running of Bingo events that contribute to security of funding for our programs.
- We have started a new volunteer position, the Mental Health and Well Being Presenter, and subsequently welcomed 3 new volunteers to this new position.
- Managing the operations of programs during the COVID-19 pandemic has posed some challenges. During the most severe of the challenges, 51.9% of the Distress Line volunteers continued to come into the contact centre to support callers on the lines. As of November 15, the program is almost back to our pre-COVID rates, with 83.33% of the Distress Line volunteers coming for Distress Line shifts.
- From January 2020 – October 2020, volunteers have contributed over 13,500 hours to programs and services at CMHA Edmonton!
We thank our diverse team of volunteers for all they contribute to CMHA Edmonton’s programs. This International Volunteer Day, we applaud your efforts to further social development. Volunteers make major impacts in these areas that would not otherwise be made. Thank you for all you do!
If you would like to learn more about International Day of the Volunteer, visit: https://www.un.org/en/observances/volunteer-day
If you would like to explore volunteer opportunities within CMHA Edmonton, visit: https://edmonton.cmha.ca/get-involved/volunteer/